Twenty five years ago, most people thought very little of the word “asbestos.” It wasn’t until factory laborers and other people started turning up with terminal illnesses brought on by steady exposure to the substance that anyone realized how deadly that one little word could, in fact, be.
Since then, building regulations have become smarter about the handling of asbestos, and virtually no new buildings use the substance for insulation. This is good news for everyone. So why is this article about why you should hire asbestos specialists for safe asbestos removal? Because, though greatly reduced, the threat is not yet gone.
Here are five reasons to hire asbestos specialists for your home or building’s asbestos removal:
1. You need peace of mind and clarity. Did you know that asbestos could still be a part of your life? You are probably wondering how because you just read that it is now banned in building insulation materials. Unfortunately, the 1978 ban allowed installers to use up remaining stocks. This means that homes and office buildings that were built as late as 1986 could very easily still have asbestos lurking in their insulation.
2. Asbestos requires great care in its removal. If fibers of asbestos were enormous, no one would have anything to worry about. But they’re not. Asbestos easily drifts into the air, and is even more easily ingested into the lungs, the closer it gets to the ground. Over time, small doses can lead to big problems, as you are about to see.
3. Freed asbestos poses cancer risks. Mesothelioma is a rare form of lung cancer caused directly from exposure to asbestos fibers. It is a malignant cancer for which there is no cure. A patient who suffers from Mesothelioma will experience any of the following leading up to death: chest wall pain, shortness of breath, anemia, coughing of blood, abdominal pain, problems with bowel function, jaundice, and blood clots of the arteries and lungs.
4. Freed asbestos poses other health risks. Mesothelioma is not the only health risk caused by asbestos. Asbestosis occurs when asbestos causes scarring of the lung tissue that interferes greatly with normal respiratory function. This leads quickly to shortness of breath and additional types of cancer, and it can be 5-10 years after constant exposure before the symptoms even become apparent.
5. More than one life is at risk. If you have a family or work in an office with your colleagues, you are all at risk. Most of us could handle something happening to ourselves more than we could our loved ones. Think about this before you decide to ignore the need for asbestos removal.
Never take chances with your life or somebody else’s. It is easy to think you are not because the effects of asbestos are rarely immediate. However, that does not mean they are any less deadly. In fact, the effects of asbestos can result in something far worse than immediate death or injury, because asbestos can cause long and painful consequences. So if you suspect asbestos removal is necessary, hire someone who knows what they are doing. Hire asbestos specialists.