Asbestos was commonly used in commercial buildings and homes before it was officially banned in 1986. It was popular because it offers additional strength without excessive weight, along with heat and fire resistance. Asbestos was used in building materials, and although it is now banned, it can still be found in older buildings. People often call for asbestos testing services in Colorado Springs to find out if an older home or commercial building contains asbestos. While DIY repairs are becoming more common, they can be dangerous in the case of asbestos-containing materials.
DIY Removal is Risky
It can be tempting to do in-house asbestos removal, particularly if one has handled similar tasks in the past. There are certain risks common to many household repairs, but asbestos presents a new set of dangers. It’s possible to inhale dust, and with DIY repairs, it can put the entire family at risk. Because some types of asbestos are very friable, they may remain in the air for some time after disturbance.
Even Infrequent Exposure can be Dangerous
There have been cases where people have come down with mesothelioma after a single exposure to asbestos. Making matters worse is the fact that if even a slight amount of asbestos is left behind, there’s a risk of repeated, long-term exposure. It can bring a variety of diseases, all of which can be very severe or even fatal.
Improper Equipment is Hazardous
Simply wearing a mask or respirator is not enough to protect a worker from risk. Asbestos removal pros have the tools and safety gear necessary for proper removal and disposal of asbestos-containing materials, and they can minimize the environmental effects of such a job.
Fibers are a Genuine Threat
Asbestos fibers are very small and can quickly get into the lungs, causing mesothelioma, lung cancer, and asbestosis. Medical experts believe there’s a link between exposure and an elevated risk of COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease) and kidney cancer.
Asbestos-related diseases can be fatal, and DIY asbestos removal can be very perilous. Customers should not put their lives at risk over a minor removal project; rather, they should call the experts in asbestos removal.